   RE: [xml-dev] Identify PUBLICID outside of dtd?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Identify PUBLICID outside of dtd?
  • From: "Chris Wilper" <cwilper@cs.cornell.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:45:36 -0400

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your response and link... comments below

> The idea of allowing a public identifier alone was shot
> down every time it was brought up.
> I don't think we'll ever see a public identifier allowed
> alone ... we will always be required to supply a fallback
> system identifier.

There are now several languages to express (and to varying degrees)
the schema for a particular 'type' of document.  This is why
I'm thinking outside the DTD context, where the assumption
seems to have always been "there is one format for expressing
the schema to which this document conforms".

Just as the MIME "media type" identifiers (text/plain, image/gif)
identify the nature of a datastream without referencing a
particular expression of their format specification, I am
interested in the same kind of identifier for XML stream
natures.

I'm interested in doing this, not just for validation of
an XML document, but for datastream-to-agent binding.

I suppose I could make up a media type for my pet schemas and
submit it to IANA (appending it with the handy new +xml),
but in light of a TAG finding
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2002/01-uriMediaType-9 essentially
saying "yes, existing media types should have URIs" and
it's blessing of RDDL as a possible way to describe
*namespaces* at the endpoints of URIs, *and* my belief that
an XML stream's "nature" is not unlike unlike a "Media type"'s
"nature"...  I'm thinking that having a URI to identify a
doctype would ... be good...  Whether the format would be
registered with IANA or not is another issue.

- Chris