   Re: [xml-dev] Questions about XPointer Framework

>From: Gustaf Liljegren <gustaf.liljegren@xml.se>
>What is an "identification of some subresource"?

The XPointer Processor points at some spot on the document, and says "Here".

I think the idea is that XPointer would work just like the HTML fragment
identifier does. The "XPointer Processor" is the part of your browser that
says where to scroll the page to.

>2. In "XML Bible" (1999) I read about two other problems surrounding
>XPointers:
>
>- In practice, HTTP can't deliver fragments, only whole documents.
>- Fragments are not valid XML, sometimes not even well-formed.
>
>I haven't seen much activity in these areas since 1999. No XML aware HTTP
>1.2 and XML Fragment Interchange is stuck as a CR. Is SOAP the solution?

This area does seem to be stuck. Maybe someday there will be a standard for
sending the fragment identifer to the server and just getting back the piece
you want.
XPointer is not it, but I think it'll never happen if XPointer isn't
finished (or is unusable).

SOAP has nothing to do with it.

>3. "...this specification reserves all scheme names for definition in
>additional W3C XPointer scheme specifications. However, the scheme
>mechanism provides a general framework for extensibility..." Where's the
>extensibility? If I can't name my own scheme, then the extensibility is
>only in the hands of W3C, right?

You're right, that is a pretty limiting form of extensibility. Would it make
you happier if they left a range of schemes for non-w3c extensions? Maybe
Schemes that start with "x-" ?

-Wayne Steele