   RE: [xml-dev] Identify PUBLICID outside of dtd?

  • To: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Identify PUBLICID outside of dtd?
  • From: "Chris Wilper" <cwilper@cs.cornell.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:10:15 -0400
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

> What's a doctype?  SGML had the idea that you could
> get to the DTD from

The idea that Johnathan Borden brought up a while back
that an RDDL purpose might be used to define a doctype
is more along the lines of what I'm thinking.

It seems that a doctype exists for every element
that can be used as a root element in a document.
Since an element can be defined as belonging
to a namespace, a corresponding doctype could
similarly be defined -- and would naturally fit
within the same namespace, but not have the
same name (not sure how its name might be
decided...).

Then there is the issue of the "document type"
having identity outside of the context of its namespace.
I guess some kind of QName-to-URI mapping
http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/QNameToURI.htm
(thanks, google) would be useful for that.

- Chris