   RE: [xml-dev] Identify PUBLICID outside of dtd?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Identify PUBLICID outside of dtd?
  • From: "Chris Wilper" <cwilper@cs.cornell.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:40:49 -0400

> AFAIK, any element can be a root in an appropriate
> document: there is no way to privilege some elements
> or to prohibit others.

FYI, in W3-XML-Schema, I can define a single global element
'root' that has a complexType 'myType' in which I declare that
'myElement' may be used.   If myElement and associated
constraints are only defined within the context of of
'myType', then by definition, 'myElement' may not
occur as a root element.

In other schema languages I could express it differently,
-- but the point is, the notion exists... and it doesn't
need to be expressed with a schema language in order to exist.

> ...support for referencing a type (i.e. "declaring" a type
> by canonical name only, as in "This is a Docbook document".)...

Thanks for the link -- an informative discussion.  According
to that, what I am looking for was not really (even attempted
to be -- but was often assumed to be) provided by DTDs, but
is more along the lines of what was conceived of in
SGML Architectures (ISO/IEC 10744:1997 Annex A3).

I don't know enough about architectural forms (and how
people have concieved of an XML equivalent) to determine
whether what I'm looking for can be found there...

> ...I think you mean "XML namespace", which makes it true
> by definition...

Right, I'm talking about XML namespaces.

>| a corresponding doctype could similarly be defined -- and would naturally
>| fit within the same namespace,
> What does this mean?
> Wouldn't it be better to have a name for the taxonomy as a whole, within
> which components such as "elements" could be identified?

A "document type" as I conceive of it crosses vocabularies (talking
xml namespaces here).  Documents of that type start with an element
belonging to one namespace, and beyond that may delve into
elements/attributes belonging to others.  Existing schema languages
might be used to express validity constraints on a document type,
but the notion exists outside of the context of validation.

- Chris