   RE: [xml-dev] XDocs and XForms?

10/15/2002 4:19:32 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

> The browser wars are over.  The browser lost.

Definitely one for the quotes file!

Not sure I agree however. Metcalfe's Law hasn't
been repealed yet. Even a small value for HTML, multiplied
by the square of all those XML nodes out there, comes out
to be a very substantial number.

If you (and Microsoft) are talking
about industrial-strength behind-the-firewall data
entry forms, I wouldn't disagree that the value that can be
provided by a fat client (or Flash/Curl/whatever
plugins) could be substantial.  But if you're talking about
commerce over the Web, I can't see anyone insisting that
XDocs (or a plug-in that isn't automatically installed in
every browser on earth, as is Flash) is necessary before
they will accept your money.

Actually, I'll hedge my bet: a Flash-based XForms thingie
might well beat HTML forms for "data entry" over the web,
and I'm pretty sure there are a few such things
cooking in various labs.