   Re: [xml-dev] Relative URLs using the file scheme?

From: "Michael Fitzgerald" <mike@wyeast.net>

> I just read today that "SAX specifically disallows relative URIs." [1] %^}
>
> Mike
>
> [1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sax2/chapter/ch03.html

That is in regard to the argument to parse(), which is fair enough.

But in documents themselves we are supposed to be able to use relative
URLs. The following example comes from the spec:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE greeting SYSTEM "hello.dtd">
<greeting>Hello, world!</greeting>

The XML REC says system identifiers are URI references, and http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt says

"The term "URI-reference" is used here to denote the common usage of a
   resource identifier.  A URI reference may be absolute or relative,
   and may have additional information attached in the form of a
   fragment identifier."

MS-XML and Xerces both allow
    <!DOCTYPE x SYSTEM "x/y.dtd" >
while apparantly SAXON and Xalan do not.

It seems strange (err, insane) not allow relative URIs for entities.
Anyone have any light on this?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe