   Re: [xml-dev] Relative URLs using the file scheme?

Hi Mike,

>I just read today that "SAX specifically disallows relative URIs." [1] %^}

Thanks for the link. Ok, so from what I can understand you can't specify
relative URIs when parsing an XML document. However, this is not really
the case for me. Here is the code snippet I'm using:

// Get an XMLReader instance
XMLReader reader =
XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader("org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser");
// Register the Error handler
reader.setErrorHandler(errorHandler);
// Set the features on the parser
noErrorMessage = setParserFeatures(reader);
// Create the input source
InputSource inputSource = new InputSource(new
StringReader(data.toString()));
inputSource.setSystemId(fileLocation);
reader.parse(inputSource);

So, the data is passed to the InputSource object and then the systemId
is set. Note that at this stage the fileLocation is an absolute path and
NOT a relative path.

Now, if the data I'm parsing contains an xsi:schemaLocation attribute
with a relative path it fails which seems a bit strange to me since I
believe the parser should be able to determine the location based on the
base systemId that is provided?

Anyway, even if this is not the case it seems like I can work around the
problem by creating an EntityResolver that will resolve the relative
URIs as specified in the xsi:schemaLocation attribute. However, the main
question still exists:

What is the correct syntax for a relative URI using the file schema?

Cheers,
/Eddie