   Re: [xml-dev] Relative URLs using the file scheme?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 05:46:40AM -0400, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> I'm not as sure of this, but I believe the third example is also
> incorrect. It should be either file://C:/Files/Schemas/test.xsd or
> file:/C:/Files/Schemas/test.xsd

  Hum, sine the file URI syntax is
    file://<hostname>/<path>

 I doubt it's right.
    file:///<path>

is on the other hand the accepted shortcut for
    file://localhost/<path>

so

    file:///C:/Files/Schemas/test.xsd

sounds right to me. In general I have yet to see a working implementation
where <hostname> is not localhost, maybe this is automatically mapped
to SMB or NFS protocols, but since this is not specified clearly I don't
see how this can work reliably. Clearly to me the FILE scheme needs some
explanations, if not a good rewrite (which I may have missed).

Daniel