   Re: [xml-dev] Relative URLs using the file scheme?

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> At 9:39 AM +1000 10/16/02, Eddie Robertsson wrote:
>
> >In the older versions of Xerces (pre 2.1.0) the following schema
> >locations would all work in test.xml:
> >
> >(absolute) xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="C:\Files\Schemas\test.xsd"
> >(relative) xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="Schemas\test.xsd"
> >(absolute) xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="file:///C:/Files/Schemas/test.xsd"
>
> I would claim this was a bug in Xerces. The first two examples you
> cite are not URLs of any kind. They do not meet the syntactic
> constraints of RFC 2396. Specifically, the literal backslash
> character is *forbidden* in URIs, and must be percent escaped.
>
> I suspect you'll find that "Schemas/test.xsd" does work.
>
> I'm not as sure of this, but I believe the third example is also
> incorrect. It should be either file://C:/Files/Schemas/test.xsd or
> file:/C:/Files/Schemas/test.xsd

i've wondered about forms such as "file://C:/Files/Schemas/test.xsd", which specifies a "host" "C:". is there any concensus on how such designators whould be
interpreted in os/language contexts which include the notion of logical hosts and or devices?

i'm also curious what one should expect something like "file:Schemas/test.xsd" to mean and if so, according to which rules?