   Re: [xml-dev] The XML 1.1 Candidate Recommendation is published

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> Unicode character normalization should be performed on XML documents,
> unless you don't feel like it, in which case you can ignore it. This almost
> makes sense. Basically it says that parsers may change an e followed by a
> combining accent acute into the single character é if they want to or the
> client asks for it. The details are quite complicated, but at least it's
> optional.

No, not at all!  XML 1.1 says that parsers should *check* normalization,
not that they should *perform* it.  So a parser that sees an e followed
by a combining acute should report the lack of normalization to the
calling application.

This is a most important distinction.  XML *generators* should generate
normalized output; XML *accepters* should check normalization.

> And of course all the other problems previous drafts have had are
> still present. I've already calumnied these sufficiently in the past.

Oh, go ahead and slug us again -- we can take it.

--
My corporate data's a mess!			John Cowan
It's all semi-structured, no less.		http://www.ccil.org/~cowan