   Re: [xml-dev] The XML 1.1 Candidate Recommendation is published

Amelia A Lewis scripsit:

> Supposing that you do an XInclude of some part of another document.  If the
> part of the document being included doesn't include the namespace
> declarations, then presumably these declarations will have to appear on the
> including element.  If they do include declarations, then there's no issue
> (that I can see).

In Namespaces 1.0, the prefix-URI mapping of the including document at the
point of inclusion will be inherited by the included document.  This is
at best useless and may be actually lead to bad results if people can be
spoofed into including documents which don't define certain prefixes --
"chameleon namespaces", if you will.

By placing prefix-undefining declarations on the including element when
it is serialized, we can prevent bogus inheritance into the included
document.

--
John Cowan                              <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              http://www.reutershealth.com