   Re: [xml-dev] The XML 1.1 Candidate Recommendation is published

Tim Bray scripsit:

> Well yeah, except for the ICU implementation is several times the size
> of your average XML processor, and its APIs are way harder to learn than
> for example SAX.

I meant that it's the gold standard for *algorithms*, not necessarily
that you should use the library itself.

> Why doesn't 1.1 just say "Processors must validate at user option"?
> I.e. this is behavior that can be turned off.  Then you know what's
> going to happen.  -Tim

Because if that were the rule, every parser would have to support
normalization checking.  This way, it's a QOI issue whether a parser
provides support or not.

--
John Cowan       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
                Clear all so!  `Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)