   a minimal SAX application in Java

  • To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: a minimal SAX application in Java
  • From: "Michael Fitzgerald" <mike@wyeast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:31:43 -0700

This is mostly for fun. As a little personal exercise, I have tried to
create a minimal SAX application in Java, with the following criteria:

* it works, of course
* it has minimal lines of code (though only one statement, etc. per line)
* it produces some discernable output based on at least one SAX event

I want a skinny little coat rack to start with that I can hang more SAX on
later. Poco.java is a wizened version of David Megginson's (welcome back!)
good old MySAXApp.java (http://www.saxproject.org/?selected=quickstart).

Here are my 14 lines (18 - 4 blank lines) of working code (Xerces 2.2 on the
classpath):

1  import org.xml.sax.XMLReader;
2  import org.xml.sax.helpers.DefaultHandler;
3  import org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderFactory;
4
5  public class Poco extends DefaultHandler {
6
7      public static void main (String[] args) throws Exception {
8          XMLReader reader =
XMLReaderFactory.createXMLReader("org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser");
9          Poco handler = new Poco();
10         reader.setContentHandler(handler);
11         reader.parse(args[0]);
12     }
13
14     public void startDocument() {
15         System.out.print("Arf!");
16     }
17
18 }

Yes, it may not be a wise application (given the crummy exception handling,
for example), but it fits the criteria.

Can anyone shrink it more?

Mike