   Re: [xml-dev] XDocs and XForms?

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>....   Others are
> simply coming up with a tag set for their
> software, maybe a few others, to consume.
>
>>From time to time, they might bother to lookup
> what others in their industry are doing and
> adopt some tags from them.  If they are very
> careful, they will even use the namespaces to
> tell you where they borrowed them.

We were talking about competition in the context of browsers. Microsoft
does not have the option of inventing a new vocabulary for vector
graphics. They could go the proprietary route with VML 2. They could go
the standards route with SVG. They can't develop something totally new
and proprietary without experiencing serious industry pushback.

So *in the context of browser development*, the standardization of
markup languages is very important and the implementation of those
standards serves as a basis for competition.

  Paul Prescod