   Re: [xml-dev] New Generation Browsers (Was: XDocs and XForms?)

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
> Ironically, by making HTML browsers free Microsoft killed browser innovation
> for a significant period.

Netscape sent browser innovation into a coma by deciding to rewrite from
scratch. Microsoft can no more kill browser innovation then they can all
operating system innovation or web server innovation. Only the people
developing browsers can decide to slow their pace of innovation.

> ... In fact, with Microsoft's revenue situation it may
> already be stifling innovation at MS too.

Microsoft has a "revenue situation"?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=microsoft+revenue

Microsoft is doing great. Most companies would kill for tis "revenue
situation". Open source is a strategic threat but has had no real effect
on revenue.

I think that they are reporting their numbers today so perhaps I will
look foolish by the end of the day but right now I have no idea what you
are talking about.

> The lead weight of existing HTML pages provides an inertia to innovation that
> wasn't present, say, 10 years ago.

The availability of HTML tools and techniques provides a *platform* for
innovation.

  Paul Prescod