-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

10/17/2002 11:12:37 AM, Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> wrote:

>You said: "The browser wars are over. The browser lost."
>
>You are wrong on both counts

I strongly agree with Paul here.  IE rules, but is not a
source of much useful innovation these days.
I very happily paid the $40 or whatever for Opera because
it is SO much faster (on a 1GHz machine!) than
IE or Mozilla, and SO much easier to quickly configure to
block out annoying animations, Flash-ing thingies, popups, etc.
but quickly reconfigurable to use a site that demands this nonsense
be enabled. Mozilla on the other hand has a lot more  suport for
cutting-edge XML stuff (e.g. SVG, DOM).

Now if Opera would only support XML DOM <grr>.
(Not sure about SVG support in Opera ... bare minimum, I think)

Even if the standards bodies and open source community don't keep
up, there are a lot of proprietary (but potentially universally
deployed) technologies that keep the browser a viable platform for
innovation and realistic zero-client-footprint applications.

I understand the urge to move innovative technologies (which XDocs
does appear to be!) into the revenue-generating Office line than the
freebie IE, but that leaves a vaccuum that there is plenty of
ability for a new browser war to fill quickly.