   Re: [xml-dev] Future of XSL-FO at W3C??

> > How do you mean that formatting
> > for a page media is in anyway different from HTML and SVG in
> > this respect?
>
> It's completely different. HTML and SVG are document  formats. That is the
> source versions of documents that you edit.  FO is just an XML
> representation of a styled document in some other format.

Completely? I think you are using the colors black and white a
bit careless here. In our environment we author in XML following
some appropriate schema, say DocBook. Then we generate
HTML+CSS, XSL-FO and occasionally SVG+CSS. So from my
standpoint HTML and XSL-FO are used in the same manner
only that it's a lot more tiring to manage font-sizes, colors, margins
etc in the XSL-FO case.

I'm not saying that XSL-FO is a feasible source document format but
that's more an effect of history and evolution than anything else.
Think of RTF ...

I'm just saying that in many situations (like mine) HTML and XSL-FO are
the same kind of citizens and both could play well and consistently with CSS.

Cheers,
David