   Re: [xml-dev] Future of XSL-FO at W3C??

In a message dated 18/10/2002 11:38:46 GMT Daylight Time, davidc@nag.co.uk writes:

Why is it easier to generate class="foo" in the XSLT together with
some css styling for .foo than to generate that set of attributes
directly in the XSLT using an attribute set or variable containing a set
of attribute nodes? I don't understand.

David,

If a document / page / site is to be re-styled it is much easier, and more efficient, to simply change an external CSS style sheet than to adjust presentation attributes everywhere in a document.

I use SVG regularly and it is certainly much more efficient, when it comes to site maintenance, to style SVG using external CSS than to use multiple style attributes or individual styling properties.

It seems to me that the same structure would benefit XSL-FO too, or do I mean two? <grin/>

XSL-FO and CSS may have much in common in terms of the underlying model but in terms of programmer efficiency it seems to me that adding a facility for external CSS style sheets to XSL-FO would be beneficial.

Andrew Watt