   Re: [xml-dev] Future of XSL-FO at W3C??

On Friday 18 October 2002 2:21 pm, David Rosenborg wrote:
> For the reasons I mention above I think it is much more efficient to manage
> a set of largely static styling properties in CSS files rather than in
> the XSLT files.

Why?

I mean, if you're editing CSS applied to XSL-FO (with added class-like
structures here and there), why's this much simpler than editing the XSLT and
directly attacking the almost CSS2-alike properties in the transform,
pertinent to the parts of the result tree where they will be emitted?

I don't see one as much easier than the other - CSS and CSS2 are so close to
XSL-FO's properties as to be for all intents and purposes a working overlap.
That is, if you know all of CSS2, you'll not be particularly surprised when
you see it all again in XML attribute form masquerading as XSL-FO properties,
but geared specifically for the environment (those objects - the formatting
ones). Going back to CSS2 to leverage an XSL-FO doc on its way to becoming a
'real' PDF is not only odd, but a bit too web-tech like to be convincingly
the 'proper' way to do it. Not that I'm about to stop you from it - carry on,
if it feels good.

--
Ian Tindale