   Re: [xml-dev] Future of XSL-FO at W3C??

On Friday 18 October 2002 1:59 pm, Anthony B. Coates wrote:
> I'm in complete agreement here.  Once I have created the general structure
> of a document using FO, I often need to tweak the layout parameters, and it
> would be easier if I could do this by editing an external CSS stylesheet,
> rather than by having to regenerate the FO.

But the FO doc is transient - disposable - short lived - of fleeting nature.
What's the problem with properly correcting it and regenerating it on demand?
That's like trying to buffer the PostScript file that the imagesetter
expects, in case you need to send it again sometime - theoretically workable,
but in practice, just as easy to send the pages again from the originating
source.

If FO docs start to hang around, this would be a semantic disaster, of almost
Krakatoan proportions (East of Javascript).

XSL-FO should be treated as water or electricity - not the stuff to get
excited about itself, but rather what it allows you to get done. XSL-FO
documents should certainly not plan on getting too comfortable where they
are, and would definitely not be advised to purchase pension schemes.

--
Ian Tindale