   XDocs, XForms and Standards

In a message dated 17/10/2002 10:01:57 GMT Daylight Time, joshuaa@microsoft.com writes:

Anyway, it's not as if MSFT makes a strategy of being gratuitously incompatible with de-facto standards.

Joshua,

It seems to me that the little public information available about XDocs indicates that it is in a similar domain to XForms - at a minimum there is significant overlap. I can see similarities between XDocs and the prototype XForms products from Mozquito.com and Cardiff.com, among others. Although there are significant differences too.

Each of the XForms products in development build on the XForms spec, in its successive drafts, in slightly (or significantly) different ways, of course.

Personally, I would find it disappointing if Microsoft bypass XForms as part of the engine for XDocs (as best I understand XDocs, at present).

It seems to me that Microsoft didn't do itself any long term favours by adopting "XSL" and then replacing it with XSLT or by advocating XDR then replacing it with XSD.

If you or colleagues could give an indication of what use, if any, XDocs makes of XForms that would be very useful information. From a standards point of view it would be a plus point for XDocs if it does leverage XForms. At least that's my opinion.

Andrew Watt