   Which is better (for medical data)?

Hello XML experts,

I'm involved in a project to develop a medical database for clinical images. We are considering Filemaker 6.0 (which is for the non-professional, much like Access, but has the ability to export and import XML). I understand all the big guys too handle XML. But someone told me that XML itself CAN be used as a database. Then I heard about "Native XML Databases" or NXDs. But reading further I got confused. There seem to be 2 camps: those in favor of traditional databases with XML support, and the pure XML folks.

What would you recommend? Which is better (for medical data)?

Native XML database

or

XML-enabled relational database?

Thanks a lot!