   Re: [xml-dev] Specifying a Unicode subset

Gustaf Liljegren writes:
>However, some want more characters in XML, while others don't want
>them. Perhaps we can allow for both by letting documents declare their
>own subset of Unicode?

Gorille provides an explicit set of Java tools for letting anyone define
which characters their processor should support for various XML
productions.  It includes XML 1.0 and XML 1.1 rules files, as well as
the infamous ASCII-only subset.

http://gorille.sourceforge.net

I haven't done it, but using a PI to tell a processor which Gorille
rules file should be used to interpret the document shouldn't be
difficult.  Gorille provides a pretty simple API that includes support
for changing which rules get used whenever you'd like.  (You can also
compile the rules into classes, which is less flexible but makes some
people happy.)

I'm working on expanding Gorille into a more general set of tools for
dealing with Unicode and XML.  End-of-line handling's done (BrutEOL),
but needs testing.

Anyone have a collection of XML 1.1-only documents?

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether