   Re: [xml-dev] Specifying a Unicode subset

Gustaf Liljegren scripsit:

> With XML 1.1 (here's my point), there's a proposal to include more
> characters from Unicode in XML.

In fact, XML 1.1 allows *fewer* characters than XML 1.0, but not ones that
we expect anyone to have used: the characters #x7F-#x9F, with the exception
of #x85.

> However, some want more characters in XML, while others don't want them.
> Perhaps we can allow for both by letting documents declare their own subset
> of Unicode?

Unicode is rather resistant to the idea of declared subsets.  The conformance
requirement is essentially "Don't corrupt what you don't understand";
explicit transformations are fine, but in general if a particular process
cannot handle a character, it should pass it through unchanged.  (Rendering
is obviously an exception.)

--
Business before pleasure, if not too bloomering long before.
        --Nicholas van Rijn