   Re: [xml-dev] Specifying a Unicode subset

 From: "Gustaf Liljegren" <gustaf.liljegren@xml.se>

> I think you definition of the word 'encoding' is a little too broad. This
> is not about encodings. It's about giving users the freedom to choose which
> parts of Unicode they want. How to specify the method to convert character
> numbers to binary form is another problem, and I'm happy with the solution
> XML provides.

One of the little schema languages that ISO DSDL may contain is one for
doing this kind of thing.

The intent, as I understand it, is to handle the real-life production case where
a particular system (in particular, a typesetting system) can handle a known
set of characters only, and the user wants to check the documents for
conformance.

To give an example of where this may be useful: I know of a CD-ROM hypertext
system which could not display &micro; without extra work.   The document was a
reference book used in potentially life-critical occassions.  A check that
all the characters that were used in the document were available would
have saved some last minute kerfuffle when proofreading found the problem
late in the day.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe