   Re: [xml-dev] Specifying a Unicode subset

Gustaf Liljegren scripsit:

> This way, those who need to use characters in the intervals forbidden in
> XML 1.0 would have the freedom to use them, while the rest of us are left
> unaffected.

The 65 ISO controls that are forbidden are (all but one) representable
as character references.  The point of forbidding them is to improve
character-encoding detection in a world where most documents are
not Unicode-encoded.  For example, because U+0080 is forbidden, a
Windows-1252 document mislabeled as Latin-1 will cough on the Euro
sign, because it will incorrectly be mapped to U+0080 instead of the
correct U+20AC.  This is a Good Thing.

> If I'd decide, there would be no change in XML. But if a new version is
> unavoidable and I need to pick one, I'd rather go for a more flexible
> solution, because I fear that 1.1 won't be the last version of its kind.

I believe that 1.1 will be the last release related purely to characters.
If there is an XML 2.0, it will be about entirely different issues.

--
Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
wise wives welcome the spring           jcowan@reutershealth.com