   Re: [xml-dev] How to print multiple spaces in my document with XSLT

From: "Collin" collin@seu.edu.cn

>     I use XSLT to transform my XML document into
> a HTML document. I 've done every effort to have
> multiple spaces be printed in my browser, but I
> failed again and again.

I think it is useful to realize that in HTML
(and in most text formats) a space character may not
translate to a space on the screen.

In particular, except in HTML <pre> elements,
you will usually find that whitespace is "collapsed":
which means that "a b" and "a      b"  will show
up the same.

The same is also true of new lines: a newline
followed by some tabs will also typically be
drawn on screen as if there had been a single space.
(Unless the text is East Asian, in which case it will
probably be drawn as if there had been no space.)

The correct thing to use is the non-breaking space.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe