   Re: [xml-dev] The Browser Wars are Dead! Long Live the Browser Wars!

Anupam Singh wrote:
> Paul:
>
> Yes, almost every data format/store can be abstracted as an XML
> view. The question that is yet-to-be-answered is whether these
> XML views will be as operationally efficient as SQL based views.

I think that the answer is "probably not." After all, the SQL based view
is usually generated *by the database* over information under the
control of the database. That's why it isn't easy to build a SQL view
over a heterogenous system. (or if it is, I don't know how)

XML is "fast enough" for the tasks that it is demonstrably successful at
and probably for many that it hasn't been used for yet. It probably
won't be fast enough for everything and then you may have to make some
engineering tradeoffs: give up XML's flexibility and ease of composition
but gain performance. Engineers trade off flexibility for performance
every day!

  Paul Prescod