   Re: [xml-dev] XML 1.1 and other specs

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> Thanks. I think you've finally succeeded in convincing me of what
> Simon and Walter have been claiming for the last several years, that
> the Infoset is not only useless but actively harmful. It should be
> deprecated, and future specs such as XQuery/XPath 2.0 should base
> themselves on XML 1.0 plus namespaces and actively ignore the infoset.

If the Infoset were an API, I would absolutely agree with you.  The DOM
*is* an API, and has the same lack of rules, which is one reason why it's a poor
API, as we both know.  But the Infoset is only an abstract data model,
and it doesn't need to enforce well-formedness rules.  It's just a way
of talking about what it is that concrete APIs and other processes
have or make available.

--
All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part          John Cowan
that cooks with lard and goose fat, the part            www.ccil.org/~cowan