   Re: [xml-dev] XML as "passive data" (Re: [xml-dev] The Browser Wars are

At 06:07 PM 10/22/2002 +0100, Alaric B. Snell wrote:
>I think that's the whole problem with XML, though :-)
>
>Nobody's yet given a good reason why data encapsulation is bad.

I didn't say that data encapsulation is bad - it's fundamentally useful in
object oriented programming languages. Java and C++ would be much less
useful without data encapsulation.

XML is a plain-text data format, not a programming language. It was never
designed for data hiding, which seems like a strange thing to impose on it.
And even in binary representation, how would you want the DOM or SAX to
handle data hiding? How would you want data hiding to affect queries on
documents?

I don't know of a good reason to go there.

Jonathan