   Re: [xml-dev] Perceived C/B for XML 1.1

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 09:01:29AM +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> Thinking about XML 1.1, I am wondering what will be the perceived
> cost/benefit ratio and if XML 1.1 will not have the XHTML syndrom.

  IMHO the possibility to dump  and other characters from
database records is what will generate XML-1.1 and drive acceptance.

  I would prefer a more noble cause like the I18N improvements but
I'm afraid it's that trick that will make it popular first in the
database related environments and then all parsers will have to
upgrade. I have little faith honnestly in character normalization
checking, it still appears too expensive (run-time) and only a restricted
user base may feel the need for it.

Daniel