   Re: [xml-dev] Specifying a Unicode subset

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:27:15PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> tblanchard@mac.com scripsit:
>
> > Lets move on.  UTF-8 is your transfer encoding, use UCS-2 in memory
> > (unless planning to process ancient Sumerian or something - then use
> > UCS-4) and lets all move on to something remotely interesting.
>
> In CJK environments, using UTF-16 for transfer makes sense, because UTF-8
> imposes a 50% growth in the size of native-language characters.
> That's basically why XML requires both UTF-8 and UTF-16 support of all
> conforming parsers.

  And using UCS-2 for memory encoding is also in a lot of cases
a really bad choice. Processor performances are cache related nowadays.
Filling them up with 0 for half of your data processed can simply
trash your caches. I will stick to UTF8 internally, it also allows
some processor to use hardcoded CISC instructions for 0 terminated C
strings (IIRC the Power line of processors have such a set of instructions).

Daniel