   XML 1.1 Names

  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: XML 1.1 Names
  • From: Peter Finch <peter@homepla.net>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:10:58 +1000

We have seen a lot of E-Mail's, of late, regarding the new
definition of a name, etc in XML 1.1 and how much trouble
this is going to cause compatibility. I'm interested
to hear from people who think this is a good thing and
why?

I know that the relaxation of what a name is, means that
the XML spec will  not have to change every time the
Unicode spec does, but is this a good thing?

XML 1.0(+ bits) is great. It’s nice, it’s simple and it works and
the really great thing is that it works everywhere! With XML 1.1
there is a danger of creating documents that no longer
work in older products and this means upgrades, testing,
re-configuration, etc, etc… great for the vendors but
what about the users and legacy systems?

Cheers,
-PF