   Re: [xml-dev] Blanchard's Law, was: [xml-dev] The Browser Warsare Dead!

At 1:53 PM +0100 10/23/02, Anthony B. Coates wrote:

>For my part, although I am a long-time Java programmer, if I'm writing a code
>generator based on an XML input, I'm likely to use XSLT rather than
>Java.  Why?
>Well, code generators tend not to have demanding requirements for
>execution time,
>and XSLT is the only language I'm familiar with that has the XML
>InfoSet as its
>native data model.

Point taken, but one minor correction: XSLT is *not* based on the
Infoset. XSLT predates the Infoset by a couple of years, and is based
on the XPath data model. The Infoset has deep problems that are being
discussed in other threads, and the success of XSLT should not be
taken as evidence of the utility of the Infoset.   Indeed, the
infoset (not even the PSVI but the raw Pre-SVI) seems to be at least
part of the massive mess that's  being built in XSLT 2.0. :-(