   Blanchard's Law, was: [xml-dev] The Browser Wars are Dead! Long Live the

** Reply to message from "Gerben Rampaart \(Casnet Brussel\)"
<Gerben@Casnet.net> on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:25:59 +0200

> Just wondering: What DO you think is an acceptable programming language
> (criteria: OO and good XML manipulation)? And why is Java then so widely
> accepted if it breaks all balnchard laws? Is there perhaps a great shortage
> of Judges who uphold these laws? Or is it simply so that it is too confusing
> for the jury ...

I've written a lot of code generators for various things, and I think
"Blanchard's law" is very true.  However, it isn't about whether Java is an
"acceptable language".  It's about which areas have built-in grass-roots
support, and which do not.  No language provides the best support imaginable for
every problem space.  How could it?

For my part, although I am a long-time Java programmer, if I'm writing a code
generator based on an XML input, I'm likely to use XSLT rather than Java.  Why?
Well, code generators tend not to have demanding requirements for execution time,
and XSLT is the only language I'm familiar with that has the XML InfoSet as its
native data model.  I find the complexity of coding the logic in XSLT to be less
time consuming than the complexity of locating and manipulating the XML in Java.
As I said though, it *really* depends on which problem (sub-)domain you find
yourself in on a given day.

	Cheers,
		Tony.