   RE: [xml-dev] OT: Save me from typing (was: XML as "passive data")

If you have public accessors to a private variable then besides following dogmatic mandates to "always use accessor methods" what exactly is the point?

PS: Properties as implemented in C# make sense to me since developers can add whatever extra logic they need to the property but what you're asking for (automatic generation) does not.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Jeff Lowery [mailto:jlowery@scenicsoft.com]
	Sent: Wed 10/23/2002 10:46 AM
	To: 'Karl Waclawek'; Seairth Jacobs; xml-dev
	Cc: 'Alaric B. Snell'
	Subject: [xml-dev] OT: Save me from typing (was: XML as "passive data")

	> And since this can be done in C++ too, the question now is:
	> Which languages (except C and Java) do *not* support the feature
	> described above (often called "properties")?

	What I object to (no pun intended) is having to write all those stinkin'
	set/get methods.  Why can't I just write:

	        private, public int foo;        // private data member, public
	accessors

	which will (tacitly) generate:

	        int getFoo() { return foo;}
	        void setFoo( int Foo ) { foo = Foo;}

	with appropriate calls to super.get/set methods in cases of derived classes.
	Then, if I have too, I can override tacit methods by explicitely writing
	method bodies.

	Okay, Alaric: which language already does this?  A hybrid approach such as
	XML Schema + Castor is one (imperfect) approach that's not going to win any
	popularity contests on this list.