   Re: [xml-dev] The Browser Wars are Dead! Long Live the Browser Wars!

John Cowan wrote:
> Danny Ayers scripsit:
>
>>sayeth the functional programmer :
>>
>>>Python is essentially Scheme with indentation instead of parentheses.
>>
>>sayeth the OO programmer :
>>Python is essentially Java with indentation instead of braces.
>>
>>sayeth the procedural programmer :
>>
>>>Python is essentially Pascal with indentation instead of (errm) newlines.
>>

> Yes, these are true too.  But Python 2.x has continuations (somewhat hidden,
> but they're there, aka a non-LIFO control regime.  No other language in
> non-research use has that except Scheme.

Python does not have continuations. Generators but not continuations.
More like Icon than Scheme. Schema does not have objects built-in. You
can emulate them but they aren't built in. Python uses a fairly
traditional mix of prefix and postfix syntax. Scheme is strictly
parened-prefix. Python has a rich standard for everything from XML to
CGI to regular expressions. Scheme has a numeric tower. Python does not.
Python's closures are very awkward if you tried to use Python as you
would Scheme. etc.

I'm not saying Python is better or worse than scheme. But it is very
different.

  Paul Prescod