   Re: [xml-dev] What is XML For?

On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 01:15  PM, Anthony B. Coates wrote:

> Actually, one thing I learned from my days as a physicist was that if
> you try
> to do something that is too far outside of the accepted sphere of
> knowledge,
> your peers are unable to assess the context of what you have done, and
> hence
> they are unable to assess the relevance and value of what you have
> done.  So,
> from a professional point of view, if you want to succeed with an idea
> that
> seems a long way from the current orthodoxy, the strategy of least
> resistance
> will involve incremental developments that lead people slowly from
> where they
> are now to where you think they should be.
>
> Also, in the spirit of "don't ask what your country can do for you", my
> personal mantra is that if you cannot convince people that you are
> right, there
> is a high probability that you are wrong, and it's time to re-examine
> why your
> right/wrong criteria are different to everyone else's, and whether that
> difference is justified.  That said, "xml-dev" is not "everybody",
> it's just one
> select and special community.  So, it also depends not just on what
> you ask, but
> who you ask.

The voice of reason. Thanks for that.  Maybe I should ask something
more concrete.

Imagine I have a little app - it has some data that amounts to a
smallish records with relationships I want to store in a file.  Say its
preference data or something.

If I opt to use XML for the file format - that sorts of tools can I get
for emitting the xml?   I'm quite aware of parsers (you might note that
I did the ObjectiveC wrapper for expat that many Mac programmers use).
What is the usual emitter strategy?  Is it custom code all the time?
Are there libraries that bridge the gap? (point me to java stuff if you
like)