   Re: [xml-dev] We need SAX features to say a parser supports XML 1.1

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 12:55, Anthony B. Coates wrote:
> ** Reply to message from Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> on 25 Oct 2002
> 12:34:10 +0200

> [...]
>
> > I am wondering if it could be usefull to separate these features from
> > the actual XML declaration and indicate if the XML document has actually
> > used XML 1.1 features.
>
> Do mean whether any XML document has used 1.1 features, or just whether any
> version="1.1" XML document has used >1.0 features?  Auto-reporting of the
> effective XML version would be interesting to some users, but it would bring
> into question the original idea that an XML document without an <?xml ...?>
> declaration, or without an explicit version, is a 1.0 document.

That's an interesting question indeed!

XML 1.0 says:

"Since future versions are not ruled out, this construct is provided as
a means to allow the possibility of automatic version recognition,
should it become necessary."

I think that it will be time to elaborate :-)

> That said, I'm disinclined to go for features which designed to support version
> coercion.  My socio-political argument is that If someone sends you a 1.1
> document today, it might be a valid 1.0 document too, but there is an implicit
> message that future documents will be 1.1, and may use 1.1 features.  If someone
> wants to send the signal that 1.1 features will never be used, they should just
> send you an explicit 1.0 documents.  I don't think that any other approach would
> lead to a robust process.

Yes, that's why I said that I was uncertain on this point. Being
pragmatic, people will also send XML 1.1 just because their favorite XML
writer class does so by default whether they use XML 1.1 features or not
and I would guess that in a vast majority of cases, these documents
would still be well formed XML 1.0 and not break anything in (future)
old applications...

Thanks

Eric

--
Did you know it? Python has now a Relax NG (partial) implementation.
                                          http://advogato.org/proj/xvif/