   Re: Living Documents (Was: We need SAX etc ..)

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com scripsit:

> I assume "living document" is a synonym for the dictum "Every word means what
> I say it means, no more and no less."? (after Humpty Dumpty, I think)

No.

Living documents are those which are subject to change under some procedure
or other.  This may involve uncontrolled blitz, change-controlled errata,
or reinterpretation of old words in new ways.

> It is one of the recurring problems of W3C specification documents that WG
> members take it to mean what they intended it to mean while the other 5.9
> billion or so humanoids on the planet (or those who take the time to read the
> document) have to go by why what was stated - however badly phrased or
> structured.

No, the others also take the document to mean what they believe it to mean.
Objective "meaning" is a myth: reality is too subtle to be snared in a
net of words however cleverly chosen.

Specifications are contracts drafted by amateur lawyers.

--
Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
wise wives welcome the spring           jcowan@reutershealth.com