   Tight binding with backend systems (Was: What is XML For?)

>So, at least where I work, I get the distinct impression (hopefully false)
>that organisations are actually wanting the data interchange format to be
>what they build new back end systems over, so they don't have to do bother
>with any transformation. This seems an amazingly short-sighted, and
>dangerous thing to do. A technology touted as an aid to loosely coupling
>disparate applications, is, ironically, leading to tighter coupling than
>existed before.

Does this tight binding mean that the only way customers can make
XML work for them is by pushing the XML transformations into their
persistent/proprietary data-store? Is this because they think
on-the-fly XML transformation tools/products (or homegrown solutions)
are not efficient enough?

regards,
anupam