   RE: [xml-dev] [Fwd: Defining "public interfaces" in specifications]

I missed the original thread, but reckon this is a marvellous idea. Recently
I was doing some SVG work and found the 'real' published interfaces (Java &
ECMAScript) in the spec really useful for pinning down the 'how', without
complicating the 'what' in the text. I'm pretty sure that this benefit would
transfer nicely to the spec 'published interface' idea.

My only worry would be an artifact corrsponding to something in the real
interfaces, where in a particular implementation one might encounter 'not
yet implemented' messages much later than one would really like (in Batik
this sometimes happened in runtime errors). Translating this to the spec
interface, I guess the answer would be some form of reality-checking
mechanism, so that new specs weren't relying on 'interfaces' that were
underdefined.

Cheers,
Danny.

Danny Ayers