   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] "Future of Software and Databases" NetSeminar(Decemb

tblanchard@mac.com wrote:
> If XML is an "interchange" format - then why am I storing it?  Why don't
> I convert it to my format (which I designed because it is convenient
> where the XML "interchange" format is not).  Does this even make sense?
> I don't think it does.

XML is not always an interchange format. Sometimes there is no benefit
in defining a local view of the data. If the public view happens to be
convenient enough, why transform to a local view merely for purity of
architecture? In particular, in the document world, XML is a convenient
repository format. It is useful to be able to query those documents in
terms of their XML hierarchy.

I would agree that it very rarely makes sense to _replace_ SQL databases
with XML databases. (though there will probably be some XML database
vendors who will disagree)

  Paul Prescod