   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: xpath1() scheme for XPointer

> >I'm a little surprised that you seem [from the last sentence of section
> >3] to see the scheme as providing a way of addressing within an XML
> >entity, rather than an XML document. In fact, I think it would be most
> >useful to say that both entity expansion and XInclude processing should
> >happen before XPath evaluation.
>
> Entity expansion is a good idea. I don't think the XPath data model
> really applies unless entities have been expanded. XInclude
> resolution is trickier. The proper result of applying an XPath
> expression to a document containing XInclude is completely
> unambiguous, and it does not involve XInclude resolution.

It's only "completely unambiguous" to you, in the Gospel According to
Elliotte.  I'm having none of your religion.  We've had this argument before
on the hard facts, and you were not able to establish why a processor cannot
choose to expand XIncludes in processing before it gets to XPath.  You even
tried to strong-arm various XML working groups to add "errata" to confirm your
side of the argument, in direct contradiction of your recent Gospel According
to Elliotte on spec errata.

The game is getting old, and I'm weary of playing.  I'll continue to, as I
said, XInclude where I bloody want to.  If any future spec puts in rules about
XInclude order processing, and I choose to implement those specs, then I shall
respect their stipulations.

> Consider, for example, the XPath expression //xinclude:include.

I've considered it.  I don't see a point in this dangling example.

> Thinking about this, I suspect it's a URI level question. The
> document before XInclude resolution is not the same as the document
> after XInclude resolution. These are two different documents. They
> are two different resources. They need to have distinguishable URIs.
> Unfortunately right now they don't.

Wow.  Too bad for content negotiation that in your world differing
representations MUST have differing URIs.  Too bad for you that the real world
is much more complex.

Python&XML column: 2. Introducing PyXML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/25/p
y.html
The Past, Present and Future of Web Services 1 - http://www.webservices.org/ind