   Re: [xml-dev] Are XML's Good Ideas hidden? (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: What a

On Saturday 26 October 2002 10:43 pm, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

> I am not sure if I am a "troll" or a "regular" in your comments which I
> chose not to quote. :)

I've no doubt that I'm probably considered a troll :-) I get irate when
people miss the point of my arguments and become quite uncouth!

> Have you noticed that it is often computer book authors such as Simon,
> Elliotte and myself who are raising concerns.

And me (although I'm just getting started on the 'prolific author' thing)

> A lot of hype about XML which, at times, bordered on dishonesty.

Yes. And this hype has worked its way into the minds of smart people as
unquestioned truths just because human's can't filter everything. And once
somebody thinks something is true they're quite able to argue themselves blue
in the face about it without questioning it since the instinct when placed in
a competitive situation, such as an argument, is to try to win not to sit and
decide if you ought to win or not!

> A lot of the online material about XML is muddled / garbled.

Yes, I've found that. Everyone has a different opinion. I suspect that the
fault of this probably lies with vaguely worded things the W3C emitted in the
first place.

> A failure at W3C to appreciate that it is necessary to create good
> standards (put aside the question of whether or not that has been achieved)
> but it is not sufficient. Attention to communication is also very
> important. I have been raising this issue for a very long time and some of
> the communication failures are, in my view, coming home to roost.

Huzzah!

> Andrew Watt

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen