   Re: [xml-dev] Are XML's Good Ideas hidden? (was Re: [xml-dev] Re:What ar

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 23:09, Alaric Snell wrote:
> On Saturday 26 October 2002 10:43 pm, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I am not sure if I am a "troll" or a "regular" in your comments which I
> > chose not to quote. :)

Since I was rude enough to accuse someone else, I feel impelled to
comment here.  Alaric, I do not think of you as a troll, because you are
someone looking for the *uses* of XML (and perhaps finding none), not
someone looking for a means to *beat* XML for failing to live up to the
impossible hyperbole of marketing departments.

In particular, I watch with interest the XML <-> ASN.1 mapping, because
someone (you and Olivier) has expressed their sense of its importance.

If those someones had, in passing, expressed disdain for XML and a
suggestion that it had no roots earlier than 1998, I'd have less
respect.

XML is a data interchange format, and for that reason (follow the logic,
please), a data storage format.  It is so because, forty years after the
census bureau decides on it, it is still readable (perhaps less so if
the DTD is lost, but still somewhat).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis       amyzing@talsever.com      alicorn@mindspring.com
Yankees are compelled by some mysterious force to imitate Southern