   RE: [xml-dev] Note from the Troll

I like this post. Here are my opinions on your various points

1.) I've never needed more than Emacs for development or XML editing but I'm interested in hearing what you think should exist in an XML editor that isn't provided in the popular XML editing tools like XML Spy, XMetal, etc.

2.) No comment. :)

3.) No robust application should depend on retrieving network resources without a backup plan especially for data as static as a DTD. However I agree with you that problems like this are typically blamed on the technology instead of the implementer or user of the technology.

4.) The W3C XML Schema recommendation is the result of too many cooks creating a compromise that failed to satisfy most parties. Investigations on my part have led me to believe that most of the percieved complexity of W3C XML Schema is  due to the inaccessibility of the spec which is only a problem because most people end up reading it because there are a lack of online tutorials or guides. Also the recommendation is factored incorrectly.

The W3C XML Schema recommendation describes four classes of constraints

 i.)  Aset of atomic datatypes
ii)   A set of mechanisms for specifying the structure of XML (model groups - sequence, choice, all)
iii.) A set of derivation mechanisms  for simple and complex types(extension, restriction)
iv.) Co-occurence constraints (key/keyref/unique)

Each of these should have been its own spec. Then only one spec would have the complexity complained about by most users and it would be (iii) which could be avoided unless absolutely necessary. Even then as long as people kept away from complex type restriction (does 20% of the work but contains 80% of the complexity) they should be in good   shape.

As for your original point of xs:int and the other types placed there to satisfy the Java and C folks, you can just ignore them in your schemas and only care about xs:integer which has arbitrary precision just like the types in SmallTalk. I've never used 90% of the classes in .NET Framework or Java class yet I've never considered this a problem. People should learn to treat W3C XML Schema in the same way.

5.) I contest your claim about average developers not being able to deal with the excessive complexity of XML. The complexity of working with XML comes from all the specs built for interacting with XML such as XSLT, W3C XML Schema, SOAP, etc and the average developer isn't using them. The average devloper is sending around custom XML and interacting with it via SAX/DOM/etc. This is a reality that most of us on this list would rather not admit but seems to be the case in my experience talking to and observing developers who aren't specifically working on XML technologies.

I don't have to maintain XSLT files so cannot offer up an informed opinion. However I can point out that the biggest problem with XSLT is that  it is radically different from what most developers are used to which makes understanding it a pain and understanding other developer's XSLT scribblings doubly so. Reading code is hard, rewriting it is easy. This is a general truism of software development regardless of programming language used.

As for your comments on schemas, data modelling is HARD. Writing schemas for XML is the equivalent of data modelling in the XML space. The average database developer is similarly ignorant when it comes to creating relational schemas and terms like 3NF normalization or referential integrity fly over his head.

6.) I don't think anyone can argue that relational databases are generally more optimal for storing data than hierarchical ones. As for the rest of your rant, I looked at your link and came to

"The two tier people caught hold of XML and XSL which appear to address some of HTML's shortcomings. They began to look at web requests as document processing rather than events for a user interface. Except that databases aren't really documents. So to get the database to participate in the XML oriented applications, new mapping models to go from relational databases to XML documents were created. Of course, unlike objects, XML documents are essentially inanimate data lacking behavior. The behavior is supposed to be provided by applying style sheets and transformations to the XML to produce new XML.

Giant step backwards."

My only question is what exactly the rant has to do with XSLT? Are there databases that convert relational data to XML using XSLT?

7.) I don't know about other environments but this isn't the case for me as a developer. The primary data sources I am interested in retrieving XML from are objects and relational databases. In the .NET Framework, I have XML serialization for converting arbitrary objects to XML and I can use SQLXML to map my relational data to XML. I believe similar solutions exist in Java and for other relational databases as well but I don't keep track as much as I used to.