   RE: [xml-dev] ANN: xpath1() scheme for XPointer

>> (This is not a theoretical issue. Microsoft, for
>> one, has repeatedly used this argument to just IE's non-conformant
>> handling of white space only text nodes.) I think some parts of the
>> spec do only make sense if you assume the data model/input tree
>> actually represents the XML document instead of some modified form of

>> it, but stating this more clearly would be helpful.

>It would be wrong.  XPath should not suddenly gain a coupling to the
>parsing
>phase.  They are distinct.  Your fundamentalism exludes XPath from many
of >the
>places where it has been found extremely useful, including invokation
from >DOM.

Although a forced coupling seems wrong to me also, are you saying you
believe there is something wrong with an optional coupling? I think that
mixing Xpath analysis with the parse phase is essential to some
applications of XML. Namely when performance is essential.

Martin.