   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: xpath1() scheme for XPointer

At 5:55 PM -0700 10/28/02, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

>I don't see how resolving the current debate would add so much to JC's
>description.  All it would take is an explicit sentence that the XML document
>being described can come from any source consistent with XML 1.0, whether
>serialized or not.  Or, if it were to adopt ERH's POV, it would say that the
>only valid source is a serialized document.  (ERH protests that he doesn't
>mind options, but that contradicts his exegeses  of the current spec, which do
>not seem to admit even optional post-parse processing).

Your misunderstanding persists. This has nothing to do with formats
or sources. What is needed, apparently, is a simple statement that
the document the client provides is the document to which the
stylesheet will be applied. The processor is not allowed to transform
some document other than the one the client provides. Whether the
client provides the document as a stream of bytes, an array of chars,
or a DOM document object, is irrelevant. It is just as wrong for a
processor to change all the element names to "Ethel" in a DOM
document as it is when the document is read from the stream.

The XSLT processor should transform what the client gave it, not some
other document it would rather work with. It should apply those
operations indicated by the stylesheet, and only those operations
indicated by the stylesheet. The construction of the internal model
or source tree is not an opportunity for the processor to modify the
document.