   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: xpath1() scheme for XPointer

> > OK, since you asked for it, here are some of the sections of XPath
> > and XSLT specs which I think only make sense if you understand the
> > input tree to have a direct connection to the actual XML document:
>

> Perhaps I should ask for a vote: do people on this list prefer the
> simple 3-page James Clark description of the XPath 1.0 data model, with
> all these inherent ambiguities, or the complex 30-page committee-written
> description of the XPath 2.0 data model, which attempts to eliminate all
> such ambiguities by diving into layers of abstraction and formalism?

I don't see how resolving the current debate would add so much to JC's
description.  All it would take is an explicit sentence that the XML document
being described can come from any source consistent with XML 1.0, whether
serialized or not.  Or, if it were to adopt ERH's POV, it would say that the
only valid source is a serialized document.  (ERH protests that he doesn't
mind options, but that contradicts his exegeses  of the current spec, which do
not seem to admit even optional post-parse processing).

Also, my guess is that even with the XPath 2.0 description, that there would
still be room for such debates, if with different particulars.  The difference
would be that the cost would be a great deal more to be an effective language
lawyer.  This would not be progress to my mind.

> I get the impression you lot can't make your minds up.

You mean that you had the anticipation that everyone would agree on such a
matter?  Why would you anticipate such a thing?

Python&XML column: 2. Introducing PyXML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/25/py.html
The Past, Present and Future of Web Services 1 - http://www.webservices.org/index.php/article/articleview/663/1/24/
The Past, Present and Future of Web Services 2 - 'http://www.webservices.org/index.php/article/articleview/679/1/24/
Serenity through markup - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6807